for a Work Permit
It is prohibited to allow a foreigner to work without a work permit. Employers who violate this can be punished with a prison sentence up to three (3) months, or a fine up to Nafl. 100.000,00. A work permit is granted only if there is no local manpower available.
The decision to grant or deny a petition is taken by or on behalf of the executive council.
An employer who wants to employ a foreign worker has to file a request for a work permit. This can be done every Tuesday morning at the Government Building from 08.00 till 10.30. In the case of several applications at one time by the same employer, an appointment can be made.
In principle, all employers who require a foreign employee must request a work permit. Under the term employer falls: companies, government institutes, and individuals who have employees (live-in, farmers).
This does not apply to the following:
- People who have admission by right
- Spouses or partners who have a long-term or common-law relationship with an Antillean or Dutch European, or with a foreigner who has become naturalized.
- People who work autonomously.
- People who have a residence permit granted the Minister of Justice without prohibition for working.
A work permit can be given for a maximum of 3 (three) years and can be fixed to the duration of a project.
It is also possible to give a work permit for a short period (maximum of three (3) months).
In principle, only in particular cases and if the local labour market allows, is it possible to prolong a work permit.
Change of occupation is only possible if:
- The employer can prove the employee has the education and experience which corresponds to the occupation.
- The employee complies with the legal period of termination of the contract
All petitions to change employer are considered as a first petition. This permit will be granted only if the local labour market allows it.
All applications for work permits may be submitted every Tuesday from 8:00 am. at the Governments Building. All required documents must be submitted.
If documents are missing, the employer will receive six (6) weeks to submit them. If submission of the necessary documents is not completed within the required period, the application will be cancelled.
The main requirements to be complied with when an application is submitted in order to obtain a work permit are:
- Good and clear copy of the applicant’s
passport; (All applications)
- Testimonials (First application)
- Copy of diplomas (legalized) (First application)
- Copy of certificate of good conduct (First application)
- Copy of certificate of good health (First application)
- Concept employment contract (All applications)
- Passport All applications
- Business and Director’s
License All applications
- Proof of registration at the
Chamber of Commerce All applications
- Declaration SVB All applications
- Declaration Tax and
Customs Administration All applications
- Permit Fees 1st application/modification=750,00
- Proof of registration of
jobopening at DEZA Extention/1st application
- Proof of job opening
placed in newspaper six
weeks prior to application Extention/1st application
For domestic employee / farmer
- Annual income/turnover 36,000.00 1st applications
- Description of the Infrastructure of the
farm, what will be developed, long-lease
or owned land 1st applications
- Floor plan of the maid room 1st applications